Thursday, September 8, 2016

The Wall at the Edge of Hell

The Wall at the Edge of Hell

I've been through hell 
These past few years 
I'm saving my strength 
To get out of here 

When I see that wall
Stretching up so high
I'll climb right on up 
Reaching for that blue sky 

Sh, I've a secret
Sh, don't you tell
You'll never get out
Of your personal hell

The ground: it's a quagmire
The wall: it's slick jade
The sky's pretty now
But soon it will fade.

Hush, it's all right now
Hush, don't you cry
There's no one to hear you
No one to care why.

Determined and ready
I will reach the top
And when I get out
I'm not going to stop

You mean you don't know?
You mean "ya dinna ken?"
At the top people wait
To shove you back in.

No one wants the reminder
That hell is so deep
That one could open up
Right under your feet

And so they pretend
That there is no night
And please don't remind them
It isn't polite.


<I wrote this a few days ago. Obviously I was not feeling particularly optimistic.>

No comments:

Post a Comment